Living in a Corporate world comes with a bundle of responsibilities and expectations. Right from your body language to your behavior, with each and every employee, everything gets noticed in the corporate world. This obviously calls for maintaining a corporate etiquette, which can further enrich and develop your personality.
Let’s proceed ahead…
What Is Etiquette?
Etiquette is a norm of behavior that explores your expectations for social behavior as per status, society, social class, and group.
What Is Business Etiquette?
Every business wants to enhance professionalism and develop a polished image and true perception of trustworthiness. It seems that today, the rule is to break all the rules! Unfortunately, when it comes to how we treat one person to another person, some people don’t even know the rules. This may lead to challenges, upside downs, communication gaps, and lack of fluidity in interpersonal communications.
Certain important business Etiquette are the E-mail Etiquette, Office Etiquette, Telephone Etiquette, Meeting Etiquette & Dining Etiquette.
In the early age of the Internet, you could yourself clicking “reply”, typing up a quick response, and hitting “send” without giving so much thought about what you have just written.
Common and important etiquette for emails that you must know are as follows:
- Be concise and always stick to the point.
- Use proper spelling, grammar & punctuation during the conversation.
- Make it personal and avoid using Bcc and CC unnecessarily.
- Answer swiftly, be respectful and polite.
- Use a meaningful subject.
- Always include a subject line.
- Read the email twice before you send it further.
- Keep attachments to a Minimum and mention your attachment in the content.
- Take care of abbreviations and emotions.
- Take care of rich text and HTML messages.
- Use active voice instead of passive voice.
- Always be on time.
- Stand on the right side of your chair and enter from your left.
- Put your napkin in your lap. Decide on your menu selections quickly
- Never order the most expensive item.
- Wait for all people to be served before beginning.
- Know which silverware to use with which food.
- Manners in dining etiquette.
- Don’t eat with your mouth full.
- Keep one hand in your lap unless you are eating European style
- Eat at a moderate speed.
- Try to maintain some polite dinner conversation.
- Never medicate yourself at the table.
- If you must leave the table, place your napkin in your chair.
- Identify yourself when making a call.
- Address the caller by his name in a courteous manner.
- Keep doing conversation in brief.
- Never be impatient, Listen carefully, and do not interrupt.
- Do not eat or chew something while speaking on phone.
- If you wish to put the caller on hold, request his permission to do so.
- Close your conversation with an appropriate salutation.
- Let the caller hang up first, In case of missed calls, return the call within a reasonable period of time
- If someone calls you by mistake, inform the caller politely that he reached a wrong number
- Managing Angry Callers, listen to his problem or complaint carefully.
- Do not interrupt him, let him finish the whole thing first & empathize with him.
- You should be good in your area of work and investigate his complaint or problem and solve it. Tell him the process of solving the problem, do not mislead.
- Call him back when you have the solution, this feedback is important.
- Those who follow good office etiquette are promoted and given choice assignments.
- Those who are seen as crass are passed over or have their employment terminated.
- Be self-aware-use common sense.
- Mind your own business & Never go over your supervisor’s head.
- Obey your company’s business dress code.
- Treat every employee with the same respect.
- Always be like gentlemen.
- Do not post things of an offensive nature.
- Do not use any bad language. Excessive workplace gossip
- Do not start with too many personal calls
- Office Romance & Dating a supervisor or subordinate is not to be entertained.
- Any behavior of a sexual nature on company property gives the company grounds for legal action.
- Avoid swearing words and vulgar references.
- Poor communicating skill is not professional.
- Avoid personal questions during the first meeting.
- Whenever Whoever gets to the door, first should open it and hold for others who are coming through.
- Turn off your cell phone ringer, accept voice-mail and text messaging only.
Personality development is the development of the organized pattern of attitudes and behaviors which makes an individual a personal impression.
How to Develop a Good Personality?
Below are some pointers on how to develop a good personality.
Remain happy and lighthearted
Try to see the joy in the world. Laugh with others, but not at them. Everyone appreciates someone who is jovial and keeps smiling. Smiling & laughing a lot is a huge part of having a good personality.
Always keep your mind open
One part of having a good personality is getting to change your thought about the worldview. Don’t pass judgment on what other people think, just because they act in a different way than you do. There’s no need to shut off parts of the world.
Spread love to other people
Many tense personalities develop because people do not want to forgive each other and find themselves overwhelmed with hate and anger. Try to find love and explore a love for everyone around you.
Always Remain Loyal
Do not betray those people who are really close to you. Stick with the people you love through thick and thin. You can push through a rocky part in your relationship if you remain loyal to the person. Our loved ones will appreciate us more and more if we remain loyal.
Support & Guidance
Do not try to act like you know everything, but always try to offer a helping hand to other people when you could make it possible. Be respectful of other people’s decisions and opinions. Sometimes you may wrong sometimes maybe not.
The thoughts that we think soon turn into the words that we say and the actions we take further. For all of us, having good thoughts about yourself gives you self-confidence and self-respect.
Show Your True Self
We might come across opportunities in our daily life to express our personality and behavior. Do it! Don’t try to fall in line with the crowd. Having a great personality does not mean that you are like everyone else around the world.
Commit to working on the parts of your personality that you don’t like
Perhaps you contemplate yourself excessively, or that you end up plainly eager too rapidly. It’s vital to perceive these things, yet not to despise yourself for it. Attempt to focus on the way you are acting. Whenever you begin acting eager you can get yourself and endeavor to react distinctively to the circumstance.
Try to figure out who you are
Look deep inside yourself and think about who you are. It’s one of the most difficult things to do, but it is also really important. Make yourself that you could sort out the difference between the ways you act and your real personality.
Decide what matters to you
Remember, It’s a lot harder to find out what matters to you if you aren’t even sure who you really are yet. Do not choose things that matter to you just because other people told you they were important. Find out where your true heart lies.
Maybe you’ve always liked playing soccer because your dad really likes soccer, or maybe you have always supported a certain political party because your friends support that party. Try to figure out the way you really feel.
Research of personality development clearly supports the idea for the influence of both genetics and the environment in shaping personality and has undoubtedly advanced societal awareness of how personality builds one’s view of self by unconsciously developing beliefs of the view-of-self and of others through attachment relationships during early childhood that is, for the most part, carried into adulthood and directly affect development, motivation, and maturation.
Research has additionally brought concepts of psychoanalysis back into the light, validating some of the basic concepts of Freudian psychoanalysis regarding the unconscious and its direct influence on personality. Most notable to personality development is insecure attachment, of which unconsciously develops a negative view-of-self that fosters a mindset filled with irrational thoughts of inadequacy and worthlessness, and that diminishes resilience, which inevitably affects all the dimensions of personality and changes the course of one’s life.