The decision of what E-Commerce platform is best for eCommerce store is one that most businesses struggle with. This is because there are plenty of E-Commerce platforms that are readily available and thus, knowing which is which is a problem for most businesses. The owners of these businesses searching to put up an online store will on occasion resort to choosing an E-Commerce platform based on its popularity or any other metrics which ultimately results in an eCommerce store that struggles to meet their needs. One mistake most people do while starting an online eCommerce store is that they tend to focus on SEO optimization and other factors while the choice of E-Commerce platform is given a back seat. Hence, they will end up leaving the most crucial piece of their online store to chance and the result of this is usually a predictable failure almost every single time.
When one chooses to venture into an eCommerce store, they can choose to either start from scratch or convert their own existing website into a complete eCommerce store. Once a decision is made concerning the choice to open up an eCommerce store, one can only look to two E-Commerce platforms that provide both beautiful and interactive website platform. These two platforms are Magento and WordPress and they are incredibly useful in the integration of the functionalities of an eCommerce store into the website. Making a choice between which of the two platforms a business should take can be pretty frustrating as they both offer SEO-friendly, user-friendly, and customizable functionalities. These platforms share some basic functionality but also have differences that set them apart. These are the differences that we will look at, so as to illustrate why one should consider Magento over WordPress.
Magento Vs WordPress
Magento is an eCommerce development platform and it is built on open source technology. This platform comes with built-in eCommerce features and its development was targeted at exactly eCommerce. The structure of Magento is such that it is tailored towards online stores and hence your website will support it easily. Currently, Magento is gaining popularity with at least 150, 000 eCommerce customers preferring the platform including small online stores as well as multinational businesses. Magento’s general structure is such that it supports search engine optimization, business reports, marketing, and mobile commerce among others. WordPress, on the other hand, is a content management system and it is focused specifically on people that post blogs but do not expect their sales to reach about 20 products or more. Since Magento is built for eCommerce it right off proves why it is more preferable to WordPress. This platform is suitable for a business that is growing and still wants to achieve greater success
Differences in Development
Despite its advantages, Magento is a little bit complicated to learn at first but this task can be made much easier if you point out where the two platforms relate. For instance, if you want to include additional CMS templates, Magento will demand that the process is done in a more programmatic fashion as opposed to WordPress. While WordPress will just require one to create a new template, Magento additionally requires one to create a module responsible for the updating of the list of templates it has. Below is the same content call performed on both Magento and WordPress.
For Magento <?php some_content ?>,
For WordPress <? php echo $this->getChildHtml(‘content’) ?>
Security is one of the biggest concerns for the eCommerce owners as they deal in sales. This is because online stores involve making payments and customers want their cash to be safe as well as their classified personal information. Magento can rightly be considered the most trusted platform. This is because:
- The platform has not only customizability level but also a high functionality. As opposed to Magento, WordPress is on a daily basis exposed to hacking and security threats as it is the most popular CMS platform.
- Additional plugins are not necessary for Magento as the native functionality of the platform ensures that secure stores are easily created. This does not, however, prevent the owner of the store from empowering the security of their online stores by the addition of extensions that provide more security features meaning that Magento becomes even more secure.
- Magento is always offering timely notifications and security patches which allows the vendors of the stores to be always armed with the extra information of what more they can do to ensure that the security of their stores is upheld. Assuming you do not get the security notifications, Magento also provides free tools for scanning your websites so that you are able to detect vulnerabilities which allows one to keep their website secure.
- Magento prioritizes the security of online store even more by making multiple security plugins available. These extensions offered by Magento ensure that you can empower passwords, block threats, scan changed files, and scan for vulnerabilities. These plugins are easily downloaded from reliable third party websites or preferably Magento Connect. Magento also allows you to have SSL/HTTPS encrypted connections which ensures that your site is much more secure.
The flexibility of Magento is one of the key factors that is pulling customers towards the use of this platform. Being open-source, users can play around with the code such that they can set the requirement and preferences as they would like. With Magento, you can achieve your desired functionalities as you are free to create any kind of online stores you would like. This is just the beginning as Magento also allows you to integrate third-party plugins into your platforms meaning that business owners will have extra features. Magento also allows flexibility in terms of payment as it adapts to different payment providers and a customer in one part of the globe can use any mode of payment to buy products from your website. Magento supports different payment modes such as Authorize.net, Paypal, and Google Checkout among other payment providers.
Large User Community
The popularity of Magento means that many users prefer to use it. This is the perfect scenario for anyone looking to explore the online business using Magento. This is because any problems that you encounter can be easily handled by keying in a request to this community. This community is quite useful in terms of themes, plugins, and extension creation. Using this platform can allow you to get the necessary support you require when compared to other platforms that are not only limited but also the community is quite small and coming across help is quite difficult.
Magento is clearly the winner when compared to WordPress as the platform is built specifically to empower online stores. While WordPress is easy to use it cannot compare to the security features of Magento. If a business is focused in eCommerce, then Magento will be the best choice as it promotes the growth of a business while ensuring that the customers’ personal information, as well as their online payments, are well protected. Magento also provides plenty of features that match most of the business needs. These features will make it possible for the platform to adapt to the business. Magento also possesses unlimited flexibility that can extend to the backend and frontend features as well as the ability to integrate with the third-party system.
The capabilities of the Magento platform are incomparable with those of the WordPress when it comes to online commerce. This platform is suited to most businesses regardless of their size. Hence, if you are looking to start an eCommerce store you would strain to find anything better than Magento. Once you believe that your business has the potential to grow, Magento is no doubt the best platform. The use of Magento does not only benefit new business but also existing businesses where adoption of the platform can lead to boosting the business growth and potential to expand to uncharted territories. I would personally recommend Magento as the go-to platform if you choose to pursue an eCommerce system.
- What Is Big Data Visualization? - January 22, 2021
- Five Benefits of Big Data Analytics for E-commerce - July 9, 2020
- Google Data Studio Vs. Tableau: Which One is More Suitable for Your Business? - June 25, 2020